Aston Martin 5.3L V8 Volante Restoration

Posted on Posted in Blog

Our special guest this weekend was Jeremy Levison. We are currently hard at work reviving his Aston Martin 5.3L V8 Volante. She’s been with our restoration team for a good few weeks now and she’s starting to look good. She didn’t require a full body off restoration as first feared so we have been able to look at certain areas of work that suits Jeremy’s requirements and have agreed on a program of works.

img_8496

 

Having taken a closer look at the body work with our master craftsman Paul Wiginton (Left) our ex Aston Martin panel beater, we stripped out the engine, gear box, suspension and interior and sent her off to be stripped to the bare metal. Once returned Paul has carried out some minor cosmetic surgery including a tiny bit of Botox to ensure her lines stay crinkle free over the next few decades. She is back now for Jeremy to inspect her primer coat. Just a couple of small snags which have since been rectified and she’s good to go back for final spraying.

 

img_8492

 

Once we had the engine out Christian our boss and founder (youngest Guild Award Winning Technician at Aston Martin) decided that her V8 heart may need a touch of work to get her going as good as she’ll look. At this point there’s only one man we could offer Jeremy that would please him more than Christian himself….the man that built the very engine some 30 years ago, in 1986. Well Jeremy, it just so happens our resident engine shop dweller is in fact the very seasoned Michael Peach. Yes the very same man who built this and 400+ Aston Martin engines during his 42 years at AML. First job for him was to strip it down, catalog and replace (Christian Lewis is the only restorer that has a genuine Aston Martin parts account) all warn parts. Luckily for Jeremy it doesn’t appear that this V8 was built on a Friday afternoon. Once we have the engine stripped we send her and all her internals off for a spar weekend for several treatments to make them look as good as new!! Unfortunately when pressure testing the liners we noticed a slight leak on several seals which now means removing the liners to reseal them. This is not a major job and should be done by the end of this week.

This is as far as we have got this week so will be keeping this updated over the coming months as we get closer to her being complete.

Many thanks for reading our first blog and I hope to keep you all updated on future works.